Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Recipe Time! - EDIT




Picture Worthy?? I think so.
I'll update with a picture later, but for now I thought I'd share my favorite banana bread recipe with you all! In an effort to eat healthier I've been cooking with whole wheat, milled flax seed, apple sauce and honey. Our baked goods are still just as tasty but we're aren't loading up on empty calories in white flour, cooking oil and white sugar. I add flax so we're getting extra nutrients, plus it adds such a nice flavor to anything really! Here's the recipe

2 cups of whole wheat all purpose flour. I use Bob's Red Mill Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/4 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (I never have any actually)
2 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups of mashed ripe banana's (about 5 medium)
1 cup of honey
1/2 cup of applesauce (in replacement of cooking oil)

Preheat oven to 350 and grease up that favorite quick bread pan
In a large bowl mix up your flour, baking powder/soda, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Make a well in the center and hold off on doing anything else

In another bowl mash up those naners and add egg, applesauce and honey. Stir until moist, it will be lumpy.
Pour that into your "well" and stir it up! I add however much flax seed as I feel like, tonight it was 2 literal spoonfuls of Hodgsons Milled Flax Seed
I'm the same way with my blueberries, I just dump in as much as I like, but I'm pretty sure I added about a cup. Trevor bought me raw almonds from Winco in bulk foods and I put those in my slap chop until they were at my desired size, mixed it up with coconut and topped off my bread.

It bakes for 55 minutes.
PS - I'm testing the raw almond/coconut top. At about 25 minutes in the oven they were a beautiful color, but I'm not sure if it'll end up burnt yet. With my second batch (this recipe makes 2 pans of bread) I'll wait until the bread has been in for 30 minutes and then add the topping.

EDIT - so some of the almond/coconut topping DID burn, but it came off very easily and left behind a beautifully crunchy coconutty topping! I baked both loaves the same, they were awesome.

I'll post pictures of both loafs! Oh, PS... don't forget to share :)

No comments:

Post a Comment