Sunday, April 10, 2011

Adventures In Breastfeeding

Let me just say, I love breastfeeding. I wouldn't trade that bonding experience with Risto for anything in the world. I love that when nothing else soothes him, my milk can soothe him. I love how he tries to "eat" my shirt randomly through the day. I love when he places his tiny little hand on my boob and rubs my side with his other tiny little hand. I love that he wants to hold my hand while nursing and I love that I can still kiss the top of his head.

You'd think after 4 months I'd be a nursing pro but we're always learning together what our separate nursing needs are. I've heard of and seen pictures of women nursing their babies while laying down, and quite frankly I thought it looked like a bit of a nightmare! I'm terribly uncoordinated nursing Risto on the bobby pillow without trying to toss in laying down! And don't even get me started on the nursing cover, that is currently QUITE the pain in the tush.

I've been reading a blog I LOVE called The Sparkle Mama (heres a link to her FB page - http://www.facebook.com/thesparklemama). I love how brave she is to actually post pictures of her nursing her beautiful little girl and it inspired me to try nursing Risto at night while we were both laying down. It was such a great experience. Risto loved it. I loved it. I was able to stay partially asleep and so was R. I also noticed he didn't suck down nearly as much air as he usually does. It was nice to not have to pick him him up and twirl him around to nurse on the other side and all the picking up and moving around. It was so natural and easy!

Anyways, be brave and bold ladies and don't be afraid to try new things with your little ones no matter how strange or uncomfortable or awkward you think it may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment