Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dieting While Nursing Is A Joke

Seriously. I was really outside of my own mind when I decided to diet while nursing. It's damn near impossible! I find myself craving sweet treats ALL through the day and portion control is bonkers. If I don't eat enough I wake up at 3 am starving and I end up heading straight for Carb City, USA, exact location; my kitchen. I came up with a solution to fix this problem, that works on the days when I'm not slacking and thought I'd share.

Breakfast

- Honey Bunches of Oats w/ Almonds - sometimes I'll toss in sliced banana or fresh organic blueberries and I always use Rice Milk since Risto doesn't handle dairy/cheese very well. Plus Rice Milk is amazing

Snack
- Craisins or Trail Mix
- Light popcorn
- Cut up veggies

Any variation of this, sometimes all 3! The good news is, not one of them is horrible for you. If I'm doing cut up veggies I love to dip them in hummus.

Lunch - I eat 1 of 2 things daily

- chicken salad with veggies and a light balsamic drizzle
- turkey salad with craisins and apple and a rasberry vinegrate drizzle

I always go for nitrate free meats. Not only are they bad for boys while nursing, they're just bad in general. No one should eat anything with nitrates in it. Period.

Snack -
- Fiber One Oats and Chocolate Bar - My chocolatey fix for the day! Plus, keeps me regular ;)

Dinner-

Now this is where I go crazy! If I stick to my healthy diet during the day, I allow myself to eat to my hearts delight in the evenings. Trevor and I eat fairly healthy anyways, so it's never to big of a stretch, but I allow myself that extra serving and don't mind having dessert.

Dieting while nursing is a joke, but it doesn't have to be impossible! I think of it a few different ways. If I eat healthier, Risto is getting even better nutrients and that's a HUGE motivation for me. And I've also become very aware of the fact that God didn't create the unhealthy, genetically modified garbage we can find so easily in a grocery store. Man created that junk. God want's me to care for the body He gave me while I'm on this earth, and I intend to do my best to make Him proud.

Living a healthier lifestyle for me goes beyond the physical. It goes beyond me wanting to feel better about myself or be beautiful for my husband. It's about me being a good steward of my body. I only have and I'm pretty sure God wants me to take great care of it.

Hopefully you other nursing Mama's or even Mama's just trying to get in better shape/healthier habits find some part of this useful or helpful, and by all means, if you have any tips or tricks... SHARE THEM!

2 comments:

  1. You need to get your facts straight, you would be consuming nitrites from meats, usually cured meats. Nitrate is turned into nitrites during by bacterial action. Even if you ate cured meats, 90% of your nitrite intake would be from vegetables.

    You should also get your PPD checked out. CPS isn't going to take away your kid because you have PPD. CPS will take your kid away if you neglect him. You are not doing yourself or your kid any favors by wishing away your PPD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We eat a lot of organic veggies, so I'm not that worried about it other then through meats where we slack a bit more and usually do all natural farm fed. PLUS a lot of natural meats and veggies technically can be considered organic (if you know the source), but the organic certification is super spendy and a lot of smaller companies simply can't afford that label.

    As far as my PPD, I'm not wishing it away. I believe strongly in the power of prayer and what works for me doesn't have to work for anyone else as long as it's doing it's job as far as I'm concerned. Today is the second day in a row I've woken up feeling more like my old self, and I strongly believe the support I'm getting from my friends, family and husband along with the prayers I'm receiving from said people, are helping me heal.

    Thanks for your advice though!

    ReplyDelete